Pages

Sunday, December 31, 2017

2017: My Year in Review

     Everybody! Another year is ending. 2017 will soon be over. 2018 will begin. It is time to reflect upon the past 365 days. The accomplishments. The failures. The happiness. The pain. The joys. The sorrows. The gains. The losses.
     This year has been a roller coaster, and it seemed to have more downs than ups. But that's what life is. A beautiful tangled mess that at the end of the day, we wouldn't trade for anything in the world.
Here's mine.

BLOGGING

 

 ACCOMPLISHMENTS


In March, I wrote my most commented on post WIPs!! . You guys loved it :)

In September, I reached the one year mark of blogging!

In October, I wrote my most viewed post Struggling With Depression Does Not Make You A Bad Christian. It's also one of my favorite posts that I've done.

I reached over 3,000 views!


 GOALS 

I want to consistently publish one blog post a week. Sunday will be the posting day. 

I want to reach 5,000 views by June. 

I want to set up my follow button so you guys can follow me!





WRITING

 

ACCOMPLISHMENTS


Kelton and I began writing The Blood Oath

The Blood Oath is currently at 71,796 words. 

I continued writing Shadows, my 2016 NaNoWriMo project. 

Shadows is currently at 76,612 words. 

I finished my first short story, "Treasure of the Heart", and it totaled at not quite 2,500 words. 


GOALS


I want to complete and edit the first draft of The Blood Oath.

I want both our alpha and beta readers to finish The Blood Oath.

I want to complete and edit the first draft of Shadows.

I want to publish and/or find an agent for The Other Side.





READING

 


ACCOMPLISHMENTS


I read 15 fictional books this year.

I read 3 trilogies:

The Winner's Curse, The Winner's Crime, and The Winner's Kiss by Marie Rutkoski.

Alloy of Law, Shadows of Self, and Bands of Mourning by Brandon Sanderson.

Scarlet, Lady Thief, and Lionheart by A. C. Gaughen.

I read 5 genres:

Contemporary Romance, Young Adult (YA), Fantasy, Christian, Historical Fiction.

I started two books:

Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive #3) by Brandon Sanderson.

Eye of the World (Wheel of Time #1) by Robert Jordan.

I read Can't Help Falling and Heartless, which both tore my heart out, but only Can't Help Falling gave it back.



GOALS


Finish Oathbringer. Only 1,050 pages to go!

Finish Eye of the World.

Read at least #2 and #3 of The Wheel of Time series.

Read 20 books.


MUSIC




DISCOVERED 


Artist: Fleurie

Genre: Alternative

Favorite Song: "Hymn"


Artist: Ruelle

Genre: Alternative

Favorite Song: "The Other Side"


Artist: Sleeping At Last

Genre: Electronic

Favorite Song: "Saturn"


Artist: Jackie Evancho

Genre: Classical/Pop

Favorite Song: "Sane"


Artist: NF

Genre: Rap

Favorite Song: "Let You Down"


Artist: The Greatest Showman

Genre: Soundtrack

Favorite: "This is Me" *but I'm obsessed with the whole thing



GOALS


I want to film/release at least one YouTube cover.

I want to extend my vocal range.



MOVIES

WATCHED (TOP 3)


The Fault in Our Stars

I absolutely loved this movie. 5 out 5 stars. It was such a beautifully honest and real love story. I cried so hard my eyes were puffy and red after it ended. I want to own this movie because I will definitely watch it again. Okay? Okay.


V for Vendetta

This movie was a thought-provoking one. 4 out of 5 stars. A lot of moral questions. I loved Evie and V. I loved the sacrifice and the emotion. I would watch this one again.


The Greatest Showman

Omigosh! This movie. Absolutely loved it! 5 out 5 stars. I would go see it in theaters again. The soundtrack is AMAZING! It was such a beautiful story of courage, family, acceptance, perseverance, and love.




LIFE


HIGHLIGHTS


March:
  • CHEFA senior banquet. It was a beautiful night at which I felt like a princess. 

April:
  • I flew to Houston with my brother's robotics team to watch them play at the World Championship. That remains the best weekend of 2017. It was awesome to be part of the team for a little while, and I basically spent 3 straight days with some of my closest friends. One of my friends and I were the closest we have ever been. I had so much fun cheering Team 3303 on. 
  • I performed in my last choir and Visual Sound performance. I loved every single song the choir sang, and I performed the lead in one of the Visual Sound songs. It was awesome. 

May:
  • I took my own personal senior trip with three friends and I had an amazing time. We had so much fun playing games and running around the beach. 
  • My best friend (who lives in Florida) was able to come visit for a week. She was my partner in watching The Fault in Our Stars. We just hung out and played an infinite number of Spit games. We watched a movie every night, and we stayed up talking. It was awesome. #friends13yearsandcounting

June:
  • I completed the mentorship program at my church. My mentor and I did many fun things in the 6 months that we hung out, and I have gained a friend who is able to offer me advice from a more mature viewpoint. 

July:
  • I helped plan and attend my first surprise birthday party for one of my friends. We completely succeeded in surprising him, and that was a great feeling. We also went to see Wonder Woman afterwards and I fell asleep in the theater. 
  • Some of my friends and I went to visit a friend who was working at a summer camp from June to August. We kinda missed him, so it was great to see him.


MILESTONES


  • June 2: I graduated high school with 48 college credits!
  • June 13: I turned 18 years old!!
  • June 29: I was accepted to Regent University to begin a B.A. in English
  • July 31: I passed my driver's test!
  • August 21: I started my first college semester
  • August 22: I started working my first full-time job 
  • December 16: I completed half the credits necessary for my degree!



WRAP-UP


     As I said at the beginning of this post, this year was a roller coaster with what seemed like more downs than ups. I lost two of my closest friendships. I've grown distant with a couple others. But I also made a few new friends.
     There was a lot of change and upheaval as I transitioned into being out of high school. There was a lot of stress as I tried to find a job as an 18 year old with no experience. There was a lot of feeling isolated. Depression came back after being gone for a couple of years. There was a tremendous feeling of loss this year.
     However, God has taught me through these trials (as He always does). I have learned to respect myself more. I have learned to respect my time and my emotions more. I have learned that even though it is as hard as heck, sometimes the best thing to do is to let it go.
     I am ready for 2017 to be over. I am ready for a new year and for a new beginning. God is going to do great things in my life, and I am so excited. I'm hoping it'll be easier than this year, but if not, I will simply trust in Him and know that everything is according to His plan.


HAPPY NEW YEAR!
~Clarissa

4 comments:

  1. "I cannot tell you how thankful I am for our little infinity."
    ~Hazel Grace, tfios

    That movie...*heart clutch* I'm reading the book now and it's sooo good. I think this is the best book to kick off the new year: aka ripping my heart out and destroying it. We should watch the movie together sometime, girly. ;)

    I got my first Brandom Sanderson books for Christmas: The Steelheart Trilogy. I look forward to joining the Sanderson fanclub in 2018.

    I can't wait to see what 2018 holds for you, friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, in tfios book, Hazel and Augustus was V For Vendetta. So...you should go buy the book. ;)

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed reading this! It was fun getting to know you better last year <3

    ReplyDelete