Pages

Monday, December 18, 2017

Dear Unknown Girl: You Are Brave

This post came from a conversation with one of my closest friends. She told me I was brave, and when I asked why she thought that, her response floored me, and meant more to me than I can express. Here it is:

                        You go through a lot and you push through. It's hard and you don't give up.
 
After she told me that, I thought about how that changed my perspective of my struggles, and how it  encouraged me. And today, I wanted to write a letter to all the girls to encourage them the way my friend encouraged me.


Dear Unknown Girl,

You are brave.

You want to know why? Well, there's this crazy messy beautiful thing called life, and you are living it. That is bravery. You got out of bed this morning. You might have cried yourself to sleep last night, but you still got up to face another day. That is bravery. You might be struggling with depression, but you absolutely fangirled over the amazing thing that happened to your friend. That is bravery. You might have thought about committing suicide, but then you thought of your family and friends and all that could be and chose life. That is bravery. You might have had your heart broken, but you continue to love utterly and completely. That is bravery. You might have been betrayed, but you forgive. That is bravery.You might have wanted to keep your story to yourself, but instead you shared it. That is bravery.

You are brave.

Bravery is so often portrayed as extraordinary courage, but the reality is that whenever you chose the hard thing, you are being brave. Whenever you refuse to give in to whatever tries to bring you down, you are being brave. Whenever you say no to something wrong, you are being brave. Whenever you love someone more than yourself, you are being brave. Whenever you share the vulnerable pieces of your heart, you are being brave. Whenever you laugh when you could cry instead, you are being brave. Whenever you say yes when you want to say no, you are being brave.

You are brave.

It's time to recognize that small, everyday acts can be acts of bravery, and I hope you join me in starting to see the bravery all around you. I hope this made you realize what a brave girl you are. Yes, it is true. 

Love,
Clarissa

1 comment:

  1. ^Yes. Just yes. This entire post is just...yes. Bravery isn't all about some great, overly huge act that everyone sees. Sometimes bravery is about just what you said: waking up and getting out of bed. Sometimes bravery is just about choosing the harder path because you know it's the right one.

    <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete