Pages

Monday, July 17, 2017

Writing Q and A

 Since I haven't posted in awhile, I asked my friends to give me questions to answer for a blog post. These are only the questions that had to do with writing. There will be more posts with more questions answered. Hopefully you get to learn a little more about me through these ten questions. Enjoy!

1. What are your ideal qualities in a villain?
       I was actually startled by this one, and I had to think about it for awhile. I would say the most important quality in a villain is motivation. There has to be a believable reason for why they see the world in the twisted way that they do. I like villains that make you believe, even if just for a second, that they could be right. Villains should raise hard questions because most things aren't black and white in this world. I also think that villains should cause the protagonist to question themselves.

2. What was the first story idea you ever had?
       If you want to go way way back, the first idea I had was about a girl who went to a "one person party." I dictated it to my mom when I was around four or five. But if you're talking about something a little more concrete, I think "Opposites" was. It came from a story I acted out with my dollhouse. Want the synopsis? Sure why not.....it'll be great to embarrass myself!
       Leigh Ann and Charlotte have two very different lives. Leigh Ann is a lonely rich society girl. Charlotte is poor, but happy because of the close relationships she shares with her mother and brother. While her parents are away, Leigh Ann is allowed to see Charlotte. But when her parents come home, Leigh Ann has to keep her friendship with Charlotte secret. So as they can't visit Leigh Ann's house, she begins to see more of Charlotte's life. Leigh Ann soon comes to realizations that will change her perspectives, but can she find the courage to tell her parents before something terrible happens to Charlotte and her family?
     I know, it sucks and it's cliche, but cut me some slack. I was like ten when I wrote that.

3. Which of your books has the most flail-worthy cover?
         Well, considering that I haven't really thought at all about book covers, I'm going to say Shadows. Just because it's dark and mysterious and cool.

4. If you couldn't write your novels by hand, how would you cope?
          I love writing my novels by hand. Don't ask me why, I just do. I have had to write on the computer only for NaNoWriMo because there was no way I had time to handwrite and then type on the computer. I guess I would cope by just getting used to it, but I would reaaaaaalllly miss my hand written manuscripts.

5. What is the hardest thing about writing for you?
         I don't really know. Probably the fact that sometimes what is in my head simply WILL NOT translate onto the paper! Also I think that it's hard to love something this much and always have the thought in the back of your mind that it may not work out into anything for you.

6. What is your favorite thing about writing?
          I can't even begin to express this answer in words. Falling in love with the characters, going on a journey with them, learning about yourself and who you are through writing, spilling out your heart into your story, wrestling with ideas and challenges through the plot, etc.

7. Do you listen to music when you write?
         Not usually, which might seem kinda surprising. I have listened to music for certain scenes though, when I want the extra emotional kick. Usually that piece of music becomes associated with that scene. For example, Rue's Farewell (from Hunger Games) will always be connected with the last chapter of my completed novel.

8. When starting to write something new, do you think of the entire plot first or go in from the beginning and see where it takes you?
         I normally have the ending in mind when I write a story and usually the general arc of the story, but I never know exactly what is going to happen. I let the characters take over. I'm mostly a pantser, so I don't use outlines very much.

9. What was the first official story that you wrote?
          Lingering On was the first official book that I wrote. I think I started when I was around twelve or so, let it drop, and then picked it up back up (rewriting what I already had) when I was fourteen. It has since fallen by the wayside, but who knows, I may eventually complete it.

10. How was your writing style changed?
          I can tell you that it has, but I'm not sure I can tell you exactly how. I think the most noticeable thing is that I'm not quite as dramatic and flowery as I used to be. And it just has become more mature as I've gotten older and written more.

Shout out to all the people who gave me these questions!

~Clarissa

5 comments:

  1. *flails* I love this post. Your answers are so great and I especially love how you answered the one about villains. It made me cringe a little because I just realized that my villain doesn't exactly have a motive...
    *decides to work on that the next time I touch my outline*

    Ooh, I really like Opposites. I'm so weird cause now I want to read it even though it's probably meant for like 10-12 year old girls lol.

    I think I'm gonna be learning a lot from you, Clarissa. You have a lot of little writing nuggets of wisdom that I'm definitely gonna try sometime. Thanks for letting us have a little glimpse into your writer brain. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I was rather pleased with the answer for that one.

    You're kidding.....lol that synopsis is so bad.

    You're so welcome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, no I'm not kidding. It's a cool concept. 😁

      Delete
  3. I DO THE SAME THING WITH SOUNDTRACKS AND SCENES FROM MY BOOKS. *high fives* it's so much fun! I usually make entire playlists on Spotify with a mish-mash of a bunch of tracks from various soundtracks and arrange them to align with how I see the scene in my head... IT'S SO GREAT <3333

    I loved reading about your writing process! That's so cool that you write novels by hand! I wouldn't be able to endure the way my fingers cramp up when holding a pen for a long time... O_O LOVELY POST!

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU SO MUCH ABBIEE!!!! I would love to make playlists for my books, but I just can never seem to either find songs for them, or I just find one or two

    ReplyDelete