Pages

Monday, February 13, 2017

"Falling"

As a freshman and sophomore, I went through a season in my life where I really struggled with a lot of things and I would write poetry to express my feelings. It was an outlet and it helped me process my emotions. I didn't realize how messed up I was then until I went back and read it after I had come out on the other side of that season. I wrote a lot, but after that time, I abandoned it.

My poetry is probably the rawest writing I have. It's just pure feeling strung into metaphors and imagery. I have some worship poetry too, and that arose out of times when I felt intense praise and love for God. As such, it's pretty personal but also powerful. Yesterday, I had a rough moment and the words just came to me. That's another aspect of my poetry: it just flows out, unlike a novel, where you have to worry about character arcs and plot twists.

Just as a disclaimer, my poetry does not rhyme and I don't worry about technical aspects most of the time because like I said above, it's raw expression of my feelings. But I'm super excited to share some of my writing with you and I hope you enjoy it!

"Falling"

My hand is slipping
From the ledge above
My fingers scrape the edge
The ground is far away

I let go
And I am falling
Falling, falling

Air rushes by
Scenes blur past
Sound has gone
I am left alone to spin

The ground opens up
It will receive me
I will never return

A flutter of wings
A touch of warmth
A glow of delivery

Angels carry me up
They set me down
My feet turn away
The ledge is behind

I am free

~Clarissa

1 comment: