Pages

Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thanksgiving: It's the Little Things

It's Thanksgiving. It's the day where everyone posts pictures of family and food and says what they're thankful for. And today is a day that I'm struggling to be thankful. It's been a hard year. Should I really give thanks for all the pain that's come my way? Then I remember I'm a writer. And just like a book, life comes in chapters. True, this chapter isn't my favorite. BUT. I am breathing. I can see. I can hear. I can taste. I can touch. I can smell. I can use every limb of my body. I have two parents and they are still married. I have friends who care about me. I have a job. I have the ability to go to college. I have a Savior who died for me. It is in moments like this where God reminds me that it's the little things. I do have so much to be thankful for. I can be thankful for the amazing chapters, and the mediocre ones, and the painful ones because they're just chapters. They are not my whole story. I have a life that is being woven into a story more beautiful than I could ever imagine, and I am thankful.

3 comments:

  1. I love this, it might even be my favorite post of yours. I agree, it's been a tough year. Life hasn't been a wish granting factory for me this year. (Yes, I just quoted TFIOS.) But I'm still thankful. And because I love lists, here's a small list of the things I'm thankful for.

    -God.
    -My family.
    -My friends.
    -The hope that God has given me. Although better summed up in my favorite song lyrics, "The sun will rise and we will try again."
    -My cat because HE'S FLUFFY.
    -Twenty Øne Piløts because they have changed my life forever with their raw, honest, and painfully real songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clare,
    Hi! I'm new here, but I just wanted to encourage you after reading this post <3. Our family had a rough year ourselves... My Mama had two miscarriages and emergency surgery this year, and while we are so thankful Mama's still here with us, Thanksgiving day was a little sad to me as I thought of the people NOT around our table. But it was also nice to know that Thanksgiving isn't a day to be giddy and happy... but a day to just REMEMBER to be thankful, in all things. It can be a "sacrifice" of praise, and the Lord accepts it as a fragrant offering... how kind He is!
    Also... I just was excited when I landed on your blog, because you have my best friend's blog background, haha ;).
    Blessings, Bri
    www.forget-not-his-benefits.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw Bri thank you so much for commenting! I'm so glad you enjoyed the post and I do know that God loves when we strive to praise Him through the pain.

    ReplyDelete